Sunday, June 24, 2007

Romantic & recipe

I bought Romantic Homes yesterday and I've enjoyed reading it & just looking at all the beautiful pictures. The theme of this issue was "Get the Cottage Look", which I just couldn't resist. There where also lots of links to several amazing websites. And now I've realized that there are so many things I really need in my home... Like a tea cart, a wicker corner unit, a teapot, a blue rose tray, a teapot charm, an engraved soap in raspberry mint tea, a beach sign (or two perhaps, one for me and one for Julie) & a tea cozy. Well, maybe I don't need them all ;-)

I'm not sure that I should share this recipe with you because it will show what an amateur I am when it comes to baking. But I believe in honesty, so here goes ;-)

Vanilla cupcakes
Servings: 20 according to the recipe but I made 10 really big ones instead (my first mistake was that I forgot that the size of the cupcake in a swedish recipe isn't the same size as my huge cupcake tins).

2 egg
2 dl caster sugar
100 g butter
3 dl wheat flour
1 and ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla sugar
1 dl boiling water (I didn't use the water. Looked through the entire recipe but still missed where it was supposed to go. But the good news is that I found it now, so I'll use it the next time I'm baking these cupcakes).

Preheat the oven to 175 °C (I totally forgot that & I'm sure you'll all remember it but just in case you don't, I wanted to remind you because waiting for the oven to heat up isn't any fun at all)
Beat the eggs and the caster sugar until it's light.
Melt the butter and leave it a while to cool off.
Mix the wheat flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar.
Now pour the melted butter into the egg mixture.
Then add the wheat flour mixture and the boiling water to the egg mixture (remember the water).
Fill the cupcake tins and put them in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes (if you've got those big tins, you might need a few extra minutes).

Lime frosting
100 g cream cheese
1 and ½ tbsp butter
2 dl powdered sugar
Grated zest from 1 lime

The cream cheese and butter should be at room temperature.
Mix the cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar.
Add the lime zest.
Spread the frosting over the cupcakes.

7 comments:

Jennilee said...

I know what you mean, I was only thinking the other day about my wish list for my home, like a pink KitchenAid Mix master. Maybe after I get married I will buy a few things. I might even be luckey enough to get some for christmas.
I will save your cupcake recipe to try oneday.
Your not alone Iam an amateur aswell lol.
Jennilee

Julie Carobini said...

I LOVE the beach sign. Love, love, love it :) And the cupcake recipe looks to die for. My bro in law just brought some Sprinkles cupcakes up from West Los Angeles, and they're good, but yours look like they'd give his a run for the money, ha.

Anonymous said...

Actually amateur baking is what I can appreciate better, as the recipe is not meant to "wow" but rather to treat readers to something delicious without all the fuss and pomp of using costly "gourmet brand" ingredients. And it fits in perfectly served on furnishings that give the "cottate look"!! ;-)

Vintage Wine said...

Jennilee, I'm glad I'm not alone :-)

Julie, I thought you would ;-) And thank you!

Rowena, thanks! I feel a bit more confident now. Maybe I'm just a cottagestyle baker :-) I like to keep it simple, small but cozy.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, cream cheese. I hd not thought of addign that into my frosting. That sounds awesome!

Lena said...

The last couple of issues of that magazine have been especially good.
This recipe sounds wonderful. I especially like the thought of lime in the frosting.
It's been nice to see you in Merryville again. Hope all is going well!

savvycityfarmer said...

The more simple the better.....
whatchya been up to?